Camera Hacker


Add Comment | Related Links | TrackBack
Related Content

RCA Audio/Video Cable Pin-Out

The first time that I came across this connector I thought, "Oh no, Sony has invented yet another "standard." I was very happy to discover the same connector on my Panasonic cameras.
The simplest was to get one of the connectors is to buy a cable and cut off the other end. That's cheaper than buying the cable I bet. If you really want the connector look in or Both are electronics supply houses that stock lots of connectors.

Hugh Tomlinson
Tue, 20 Sep 2005 06:57:15 -0700

You can find this cable at It's called a 3.5mm Camcorder Cable. Now, if anyone can find the mating PCB connector for this jack, please let me know. I can only find stereo or mono audio jacks..

Sat, 1 Oct 2005 23:00:36 -0700

The displayed pinout is actually wrong. I just bought a panasonic 4-pin cable for a project, cut the cable, and tested with a multimeter.

As labeled in the diagram, the ground and the video are reversed. Reading down from the top, the correct pinout is


Hope that's useful!

Thu, 3 Nov 2005 09:27:50 -0800

Thanks for the heads-up, Charlie. I will verify the cable pin-out again.

Chieh Cheng
Thu, 3 Nov 2005 17:08:38 -0800

TRRS is the technical name you're looking for. TS (Tip Sleeve) describes a monaural connector (more common with 1/4" plugs e.g. on pro audio amp/line cables). TRS (Tip Ring Sleeve) describes the common stereo audio jack (1/4" or 3.5mm), while TRRS (3 "rings") describes the jack used for some headsets (also iPod) or, in this case, a compact audio-video connection for a camcorder.

Tue, 16 Nov 2010 18:12:47 +0000

I have 2 cables like that. One came with my Roku 2 XD, and the other came with a flip video. On the four-connector piece, going from tip to base, I have one that's: red (right), yellow(vid), white(left), ground and another that's white(left), red(right), yellow(vid), ground. So obviously there's no standard. I'm trying to determine which is for the Roku and which is for the Flip so I can connect the Roku to my stereo. Oh, well. at least the ground is the same on both, so I won't fry anything trying both.

Chuck Glenn
Wed, 18 Apr 2012 04:31:53 +0400

It's not proof, but... An original cable for a Roku 2 XD on eBay looks like the one I have that matches: W, R, Y, G. So the Flip Video must be R, Y, W, G.

Chuck Glenn
Wed, 18 Apr 2012 04:39:53 +0400

Sorry for bumping an old thread, but I thought it would be helpful to provide an update based on my findings.

In Novermber 2005, Charlie stated that the displayed pinout was wrong since his Panasonic cable was different. I Ohmed out the cable from my Sony Digital 8 Handycam (DCR-TRV230) and the displayed pinout is correct for Sony. Unfortunately there is no universal standard for 3.5mm AV cables and every brand seems to have their own variation so Panasonic may have a different pinout.

In case anyone is interested, my Toshiba TV has a 3.5mm AV input that seems to be 100% compatible with my Sony Cable.

Wed, 28 Jan 2015 18:26:31 +0300

<< Back to Article

Add Comment | Related Links | TrackBack
Related Content

Did your message disappear? Read the Forums FAQ.

Add Comment

Spam Control | * indicates required field
Your Name: *
Remember Me!
Comment: *
File attachment is optional. Please do not attach a file to your submission unless it is relevent.
Attach File:
(20 MB Max)
Spam Protection: * Answer of 3 + 3?
Click button only once, please!


TrackBack only accepted from WebSite-X Suite web sites. Do not submit TrackBacks from other sites.

Send Ping | TrackBack URL | Spam Control

No TrackBacks yet. TrackBack can be used to link this thread to your weblog, or link your weblog to this thread. In addition, TrackBack can be used as a form of remote commenting. Rather than posting the comment directly on this thread, you can posts it on your own weblog. Then have your weblog sends a TrackBack ping to the TrackBack URL, so that your post would show up here.

Messages, files, and images copyright by respective owners.