Camera Hacker


Add Comment | Related Links | TrackBack
Related Content

mid-range video camcorder


Are there any mid-range video camera you guys recommend?

Nothing fancy. Just for documenting family events...with that non-shaking feature...I'm told I need that badly.

For your kids, do you take a lot of video or just pictures?

Thu, 27 Jul 2006 10:34:39 -0700

I have the Sony DCR-HC90. I highly recommend this camcorder. But with consumer product life-cycle so short, I'm not sure you can even get one anymore. I think the latest successor is the Sony DCR-HC96.

Chieh Cheng
Thu, 27 Jul 2006 13:49:48 -0700 much did you pay for it?

Thu, 27 Jul 2006 14:02:54 -0700

I paid $799 for the DCR-HC90. Should be cheaper now if you can find it.

Chieh Cheng
Thu, 27 Jul 2006 15:01:17 -0700


I don't want to spend more than $400 for it. It's just something to capture simple video.

I mean my camera was only $450 when I got it. Okay...maybe $500 with the tapes...that was like 5 years ago.

Thu, 27 Jul 2006 15:13:46 -0700

Oh . . . I thought you wanted a mid-range video camera? Well . . . to find a mid-range camcorder for $400, you'll have to wait for a hot deal . . . I'll let you know if I see a good deal for a mid-range one.

Chieh Cheng
Thu, 27 Jul 2006 15:19:39 -0700

Okay...everything's midrange for me...hmm...just one that shoots decently...nice quality and need for a lot of advanced features...

how aobut those little hand-held ones...are they any good? They're kind of flat and have a long body?

Thu, 27 Jul 2006 15:25:42 -0700

Thin and long body, huh? Get the Samsung SC-X210L. I have always wanted one of those.

Chieh Cheng
Thu, 27 Jul 2006 16:38:52 -0700

Hmm...I saw this only has 3 of 5 stars...but you like it?

Thu, 27 Jul 2006 17:09:08 -0700

There are two things you like about that camcorder. It uses flash cards and it is thin. I like it because of the external lens. For a baby, you can probably do some fun stuff with it, like putting the external cam in the crib.

The quality is MPEG-4, so it won't be as good as a miniDV camcorder. But you won't be able to find a miniDV camcorder in that size (Sony DCR-PC55 comes close). And when you use a flash card with a miniDV camcorder, the quality is going to be the same as well (MPEG-4).

Chieh Cheng
Thu, 27 Jul 2006 17:18:42 -0700

you're right. When I first saw it, I moved the flash card feature.

I think we'll put the videos on DVDs we kind of like the quality to be good.

A question about shaking cam's these days have a feature to compensate for that? And if so, what's it called?

Thu, 27 Jul 2006 17:37:29 -0700

It doesn't work with a Mac...

Note to Self: Samsung digital cam's are bad for the Mac. They plainly don't work.

Thanks...I think I'll settle on a Canon. Durable and easy to use. I just dont' want to be jacked by Sony when I know I'll be jacked by them when I get PS3.

Thu, 27 Jul 2006 17:40:16 -0700

The technology that compensates for shakes is called "image stabilization".

Chieh Cheng
Thu, 27 Jul 2006 18:42:21 -0700

Add Comment | Related Links | TrackBack
Related Content

Did your message disappear? Read the Forums FAQ.

Add Comment

Spam Control | * indicates required field
Your Name: *
Remember Me!
Comment: *
File attachment is optional. Please do not attach a file to your submission unless it is relevent.
Attach File:
(20 MB Max)
Spam Protection: * Answer of 0 + 3?
Click button only once, please!


TrackBack only accepted from WebSite-X Suite web sites. Do not submit TrackBacks from other sites.

Send Ping | TrackBack URL | Spam Control

No TrackBacks yet. TrackBack can be used to link this thread to your weblog, or link your weblog to this thread. In addition, TrackBack can be used as a form of remote commenting. Rather than posting the comment directly on this thread, you can posts it on your own weblog. Then have your weblog sends a TrackBack ping to the TrackBack URL, so that your post would show up here.

Messages, files, and images copyright by respective owners.